It’s the season of road construction projects around Wichita, Kansas. It seems that every week there is a new road closure, detour, or reduction in the number of lanes. Whether due to maintenance or repair, it’s important to practice safety in work zones. The Accident Recovery Team has identified a few ways to make your commute through construction zones safely.
Road Construction Safety
However you travel, a hospital visit should not be on your road trip itinerary. On average, over 700 fatalities occur in work zones each year. Commercial motor vehicle and passenger vehicle drivers both need to be particularly careful while traveling through road construction zones. Follow these 5 ways to stay safe on your next road trip:
- Research your route – If at all possible, avoid road construction zones and use available detours.
- Pay attention – Be aware of signage throughout work zones. These will indicate reduced speeds, lane changes and other important information. Also avoid distractions such as your cellphone, eating, drinking, music, GPS and conversing with other passengers.
- Slow down – Lane closures, traffic pattern shifts and reduced speeds are common in work zones. Make sure to slow down when entering a road construction zone and keep an eye out for road workers.
- Move into the open lane – As soon as possible, move into the open lane when lane closures are approaching. Pay close attention to vehicles around you that could be in your blind spot.
- Keep your distance – Rear-end crashes are extremely common in work zones. Be sure to maintain extra space between your vehicle and the one in front of you at all times.
But accidents happen. If you are in a wreck in a road construction zone, it’s important to know what to do next. The Accident Recovery Team can help you get back on the road quickly and with the compensation you deserve.
Be Aware of Recent Work Zones
In Wichita, there are multiple areas of road construction that have been started recently or will be underway soon. Being aware of these closures ensures you get to your destination on time. To stay up-to-date on recent and ongoing road work closures, check out KanDrive’s interactive map: https://kandrive.gov/cms-dashboard/1/@-97.37521,37.72529,11?show=roadReports,constructionReports,trafficSpeeds,winterDriving,weatherRadar
Accident Recovery Team is Here All Year Long
Accident Recovery Team is made up of attorneys who care about driving safely, especially in road construction work zones. Contact any of the attorneys at the Accident Recovery Team by calling us toll free at 866-263-0505. We’re happy to answer questions and the consultation is free. You never pay a fee until we win.
Information provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website.